|Release Date||Film-Title||Star-Cast||Director||Genre||Buzz||Expected Business|
|Jul-27||Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum||Tusshar Kapoor, Riteish Deshmukh, Bipasha Basu, Angela Jonsson||Sachin Yardi||Comedy||Good||30|
|Aug-03||Jism 2||Sunny Leone, Arunoday Singh, Randeep Hooda||Pooja Bhatt||Adult, Thriller||Fair||30|
|Aug-08||Gangs Of Wasseypur 2||Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Tigmanshu Dhulia, Huma Qureshi||Anurag Kashyap||Thriller||Cold||20|
|Aug-15||Ek Tha Tiger||Salman Khan, Katrina Kaif||Kabir Khan||Thriller, Romance||Red Hot||150|
|Aug-24||Chasme Baddoor||Ali Zafar, Tapsee Pannu, Sonu Nigam, Rishi Kapoor||David Dhawan||Comedy||Cold||20|
|Aug-24||Shirin Farhad Ki Nikal Padi||Farah Khan, Boman Irani||Bela Segal||Comedy||Good||30|
|Aug-31||Joker||Akshay Kumar, Sonakshi Sinha, Shreyas Talpade, Minissha Lamba||Shirish Kunder||Sci-Fi||Hot||80|
|Aug-31||Zila Ghaziabad||Vivek Oberoi, Sanjay Dutt, Arshad Warsi, Minissha Lamba||Anand Kumar||Action, Thriller||Cold||40|
|Sep-07||Raaz 3||Emraan Hashmi, Esha Gupta||Vikram Bhatt||Thriller, Suspense||Cold||40|
|Sep-14||Barfi||Ranbir Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra, Ileana D'Cruz||Anurag Basu||Comedy||Hot||70|
|Sep-21||English Vinglish||Sridevi, Priya Anand, Mehdi Nebbou||Gauri Shinde||Drama||Cold||20|
|Sep-21||Heroine||Kareena Kapoor, Arjun Rampal, Arunoday Singh||Madhur Bhandarkar||Drama||Good||40|
|Sep-21||Ishkq In Paris||Preity Zinta, Isabelle Adjani||Prem R Soni||Romance||Cold||20|
|Sep-28||Kamaal Dhamaal Malamaal||Nana Patekar, Shreyas Talpade, Paresh Rawal, Rajpal Yadav||Priyadarshan||Comedy||Cold||20|
|Sep-28||OMG Oh My God||Paresh Rawal, Mithun Chakraborty, Akshay Kumar, Sonakshi Sinha||Umesh Shukla||Comedy||Good||70|
|Oct-05||1920 - Evil Returns||Aftab Shivdasani, Tia Bajpai, Vidya Malvade||Bhushan Patel||Horror||Cold||30|
|Oct-19||Student Of The Year||Siddharth Malhotra, Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt||Karan Johar||Drama||Good||60|
|Nov-13||Son Of Sardar||Ajay Devgn, Sonakshi Sinha, Sanjay Dutt, Juhi Chawla||Ashwani Dhir||Action||Hot||90|
|Nov-30||Talaash||Aamir Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Rani Mukerji||Reema Kagti||Suspense, Drama||Red Hot||100|
|Nov-30||Yash Chopra's Next||Shahrukh Khan, Katrina Kaif, Anushka Sharma||Yash Chopra||Romance||Red Hot||100|
|Dec-07||Aashiqui 2||Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor||Mohit Suri||Romance||Good||30|
|Dec-07||Khiladi 786||Akshay Kumar, Himesh Reshammiya, Paresh Rawal, Ileana D'Cruz||Ashish R Mohan||Action, Comedy||Cold||60|
|Dec-21||Dabangg 2||Salman Khan, Sonakshi Sinha||Arbaaz Khan||Action, Romance||Red Hot||130|
Wednesday, 18 July 2012
The Gravity-Defying Economies of Bollywood!
The Gravity-Defying Economies of Bollywood!
The Eurozone may be passing through its worst crisis ever. The US may be on a double-dip (or is it triple-dip already?) recession.
Coke and Pepsi are on a continuous de-growth (at least the cola part of the equation). The new car launches are meeting tepid response.
Rupee is cheap. And stock markets are on a perennial stagnant mode.
Unemployment is high. Salary hikes are difficult to come by.
The Global economy may be out in the Woods.
However, there is one-industry that defies downturn of any kind – the good ‘ol Bollywood!
Its half-time 2012 and Bollywood has already registered 4 mammoth 100-Crore Blockbusters! Add a couple of ‘Almost there’ 100-crore sleeper-hits (Kahaani and Cocktail) and what we have is a money-spinner in virtually every month of 2012!!
The masses and the classes, the single-screen mango people and the Multiplex elites, all are consuming movies like never before. The Sold-out and Housefull indicators are now once again a frequent phenomenon.
Don’t believe me? Well here are a few statistics –
· The total Bollywood collections at the domestic box office in H1 2011 were around Rs. 610 crore. Same period this year i.e. H1 2012 has yielded upwards of Rs. 850 crore!!
· July 2012 has been phenomenal so far. Two huge successes – Bol Bachchan and Cocktail – that are going very strong!
· The 100-Crore club that opened in 2008 with Ghajini was joined by 3 Idiots in 2009. In 2010 we had 2 more in the form of Dabangg and Golmaal 3.
· 2011 was huge with 5 more such 100-crore extravaganzas.
· However, 2012 promises to be the Biggest Bollywood year EVER! We’re just half-way through and we already have 4 Gorilla blockbusters in the kitty!
· In typical Bollywood flamboyance, it’s easy to say that “We’re just warming up mate!” The best is yet to come. The Khans haven’t yet played a ball!
· And fortunately, all the 3 Khans have some red-hot blockbusters lined up for Eid, Diwaali and Christmas this year!
· Throw in a couple of Akki and Ajay biggies, and what we have is a giddy concoction.
· If you’ve already started feeling the hole in your pocket; if you think you’ve already splurged a bit too much on the movies this year, well you’re in for some real trouble.
· Here’s a quick run through the Bollywood line-up for the rest of this year. Get ready to be spoilt for choices, virtually every week till the end of 2012.
· Please start planning your finances right away! The Bollywood juggernaut has giant plans to rip apart your wallet this year.
· In all probability, it’s gonna be a case of Bollywood gluttony this festive season…what with 4 sure-shot 100-Crore bonanzas lined up. Watch your Bollywood calories folks! How do you plan to handle -
o Ek Tha Tiger
o SRK-Kat-Anushka-Yash Raj untitled movie
o Dabangg 2
· And well, if your wallet permits, there is a fair enough chance of 3 more biggies making it in this coveted 100-crore club –
o Son of Sardar
Ready to loosen up your purse strings buddy? If ever, there was a Bollywood Mutual Fund, it could’ve been our best investment option in these uncertain times!! At the same time, just like Financial Planners, we soon gonna witness another class of experts to guide us on our ruthless spending on the movies - The Movie Planners!!
“Sir, the market will peak up during Diwaali – with Son of Sardar and Yash Raj-SRK movie. Would advise you to not invest in Shirin Farhad, there is Joker coming just the next week. Also, it’s advisable to hold on to some disposable cash for Dabangg 2 at the fag end of 2012!”
For quick reference, pasted below is a ready reckoner of the movies lined-up for the rest of this year. Take your pick with care....as there is actually a lot to choose from! Spend wisely guys!
Your Movie Planner for H2 2012
*The Buzz and Expected Business have no mathematical backing, but influenced simply by my gut feel, the first look and on-air promos, the attractiveness index of the star-production house-director combination, the freshness and curiosity raised by the subject, the media and trade mentions of the said movie and well....my love and fascination for this fantastic industry called Bollywood!